Sure, only sometimes that is not an option. And since it seems it is a good idea to actually own a DiskRepair Utility I am quite happy to buy one.

Also, I have been told, and at least partly believe this, that when you actually use a defragging utility you can avoid certain fragmentation more effectively than just by copying. Simply because these utilities can make a decision on what to put where, rather than just doing it file by file.

Johannes

Javier Ruiz wrote:
Johannes,
Is a well know fact that the best way to defragment a disk is to copy all
contents to another one (something that you should have done anyway), erase
the disk  and copy back the information.

And the price is fair ;)

Javier Ruiz.

Thing is, I don't actually have a problem. The reason I need a disk
utility is that I want a tool to defragment, especially my Audio drive.
This seems to be a good time to get a utility which will also help me
should I get a problem in the future.

It seems that most people recommend DiskWarrior. If I don't hear
anything negative about it I will probably buy it.

Johannes

Simon Troup wrote:

I am in fo a new Disk Maintenance software. As far as I can see there
are basically two choices:

There's also Drive 10

http://www.micromat.com/drive_10/drive_10_introduction.html

It's best to own as many Disk Utils as you can afford. In my experience there
is no "best" utility. I've encountered problems that would make Norton Utils
crash, but DiskWarrior would fix, and problems that neither Norton nor
DiskWarrior could address, but Drive 10 fixed with ease. It's a lottery.

I bought them both, and Drive 10 too. That may sound like an extravagance,
but I collected them one at a time - as each prior purchase failed to repair
the next problem!

Simon Troup

-- http://www.musikmanufaktur.com http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de