> It is nonsense to believe Apple one minute that OS X eliminates all
> needs for defragmentation. It is true to a certain extend that MacOS X
> has better built-in file maintenance than OS 9, and it does some
> rudimentary defragmentation. For many people this will be just fine.

It's not nonsense - they haven't claimed any such thing. I think it's summed up very
well in the knowledgebase article, they don't make out that they have cured
defragmentation completely, and mention problems that can occur when you are writing
really large files or are approaching disk capacity.

There are however, as I'm sure you're aware, many people who are routinely (and
needlessly) defragmenting their OSX drives.

I would suggest that unless people fit into one of the special categories (as you
clearly do, granted!) they are very unlikely to suffer from the kind of problems they
had with OS9 and earlier - in fact, routine defragmentation is asking for trouble.

Simon Troup