At 8:15 AM -0700 10/24/04, John Poole [Finale Discussion] wrote:
The video has as a theme that engraving music the manual way is becoming a lost art.

I would, of course, agree, at least for those persons in those places where computers have become normal and ordinary tools of the trade. But the fact is that they are NOT in universal use and everyone on the planet does NOT have access to computers or to the Internet.

Hand engraving is extremely labor-intensive compared with computer engraving. (This might not be true of Score, which I have never worked with, but which is said to be more involved than Finale or Sibelius or Mosaic.) And labor-intensive translates to expensive. During the mid-20th century a great many publishers were outsourcing their engraving to Asia for this very reason, if my understanding is correct.

However, getting music down on paper is necessary for more than formal publication purposes, and always will be. As a composition major at Indiana University in the late 60s, my wife was required to take a course in music manuscript techniques. As a working professional arranger at the same time I had to make sure that my manuscript was sightreadable because the backup bands we worked with often had to do just that. I turned the corner to computer engraving in about 1993, and have not used manuscript since. But in my arranging class I do insist that my students be able to turn in their assignments for correction in readable pencil manuscript, and in computer engraved form for their final portfolio.

John

-- John & Susie Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale