JD wrote:
on 11/14/04 8:11 PM, Noel Stoutenburg at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I set up regions for the
numbers to always display on the top staff and with the staff tool to
display on the Vln. 1 staff.  So far so good.  There are points in the score
where Vln. 1 are out for a system, where Vln. 2 or Violas are playing and I
want the numbers to display there.

I'm curious, as to whether you've tried to define a staff style to show numbers, and applied it to the top staves where the Vln. 1 is tacet. Said staff style would look just like the staff attributes for the appropriate staff, except that you would also select the item, "show measure numbers"....

No.  In fact, I tried remedying this problem via staff styles and it too
much of a kludge.  This score is 1631 measures long and I don't want to go
the staff style route.  I thought there was a way is previous versions to
force a measure number to show, regardless of the settings.  Maybe I was
wrong.

You could (and still can) force measure numbers to show in places where they aren't set to show but not on staves for which Measure Numbers have been unchecked in Staff attributes.

In other words, if you have measure numbers set to show at the start of each system and you want a particular measure number to show in the middle of a staff, you can simply ctrl-click that measure number.

But without a staff style there is not (and has never been) a way to get a measure number to show on staves for which the Measure Numbers is unchecked in the Items To Display column of staff attributes.

--
David H. Bailey