Why don't you check yourself? Look at any major publisher's edition, Bärenreiter, Henle, Peters, Breitkopf and Härtel, which ever. I am pretty sure you will find that I am correct.

Johannes

Darcy James Argue wrote:

The correct way to number first and second endings is to number the first bar of the first and second ending the same.

Really? So you're saying that, for a one-measure first and second ending, *both* measures would have the same number?

Is that really standard practice? That seems like a really terrible idea to me. I've always either done what John does, above (just number consecutively, ignoring repeats) -- which I prefer -- or, when necessary, renumber the entire repeat, film-score style, as you describe below. I have never even considered having, for instance, two measure 9's in the same piece, one for the first ending, and one for the second.

What is the rationale for this?

-- http://www.musikmanufaktur.com http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de