On Jan 17, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Jón Kristinn Cortez wrote:

I have 2005a.r2 with MacOS X -10.3.7 on iMac G4 1.25 GHz with 768 Mb memory,- and it happens all the time.

I have an open file with a 2 page song with two verses and Show Multiple Pages selected. I choose the Text Tool and
click on a note with Type Into Score.

You must mean the Lyric tool?

The word attached gets highlited and the second page disappears. I use the
down arrow to got to the second verse and still the second page is hidden. But this is not constant. More often the
screen redraws with every click on the first page. Gets a bit irritating!

I've never been able to select the second page when two pages are showing. I have no idea why this is. Apparently this is only a visual thing, which makes it pretty much useless if you can't edit the second page. The multiple screen redraws are indeed irritating. Let [EMAIL PROTECTED] know about it, as they prioritize fixes based on how many people complain about it.

Also:
Why don't the hyphens show up in text until you update the layout?

I'm not sure. This has something to do with the new Automatic word extensions, and the way Finale handles lyric spacing. I have turned off the word extensions, as it makes the response time too slow in large files, and as a result hyphens and word extensions don't even show up until I choose Edit>Update Smart Extensions and Hyphens.

Why do I get a box instead of a double-sharp?

Sounds like a font problem. I have never seen this in one of my documents.

I have found some things get strange when I have selected a non-US keyboard layout. Sometimes I use a French-Canadian keyboard, and some odd characters show up at unexpected times. This might be related if you are using a non-US keyboard setup.

Why am I asked if I want to save after: save - print - close file (Do you want to save?)

Yep. That's Finale being anal-retentive about saving. Very cute at first (aww, they care about me!) but annoying after a while (yes, Mom, I DO have clean underwear! I'm forty years old!) However, it's when Finale DOESN'T ask all the time to save that I worry, because that's when I have been bitten by the dreaded File Overwrite bug.

Why does the Type Into Score (four triangles) appear when I choose Expression Tool?

That's the new Automatic Expression Alignment. You get one above the staff, and one below, but you have to select it in the Expression Menu to change it (Adjust Above Staff Baseline, or the Below Staff one.) THe expression only moves when you change a baseline arrow if you have chosen to attach it to one of the baselines. Select the expression, hit Return, and the placement dialogue box opens. If it is Note-Attached, select that tab; if it is Measure-Attached, select THAT tab, and mess around with the settings. Very cool.

Why does every file open as Untitled in a new version?

Safety. THere might be a way to turn that off if it bugs you.

Here's what the manual says:

The file will be
opened as a untitled document. When you save this untitled document, we suggest naming it
something different than what it was named in the previous version: Opus might become
Opus2, for example. In addition to providing you with a backup of your file (always a good
idea when working with computers), by not overwriting the original file you retain the ability
to open the original in the older version of Finale, should you choose to do so.

Why does the Page Setup change from a saved A4 to US Letter unless I change the order in pagesizes.txt in a new version?

I didn't quite get all that. I know there are several places to set page size, and they all have to be set, plus the OS can save default printer aspects. Maybe someone else can help with that?

Christopher