On 21 Jan 2005 at 15:43, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] / 05.1.21 / 00:52 PM wrote:

[]

> But I think that if the problem was solely due to an address bug, it
> would happen more often.  And problems with addressing is exactly what
> can happen during a page fault...(when the working set of pages of a
> process, which contains addressing information doesn't have enough
> physical memory...a page fault occurs....it the OS has enough memory
> to keep the working sets of all processes in physical memory there
> will be fewer page faults.)  Page faults don't occur very often.  Only
> when the system is stressed do they happen more frequently...the same
> goes for the Overwrite Bug.

A page fault in a working virtual memory subsystem will *never*
result in the memory tables being corrupted so that pages get mixed
up.

Furthermore, memory pages are not necessarily the same size as the
units used in the actual files represented by those pages in memory.
This means that a swap file page may have data from multiple memory
pages. Why does that matter? Well, for the kind of corruption being
experienced to be due to corrupted memory tables, the correspondence
between memory structure (swapped page) and file structure
(documents) would have to be one-to-one, since the corruption is one-
to-one (the contents of one entire document replaces the contents of
another entire document).

> >.......related to hacked and twisted code to make Finale work under
> >OSX.
>
> I whole heartedly agree that something has not been coded properly
> under OSX and that that is adding to the problem.  :-)

Again, let me repeat that I've seen a mismatch between document
window and content on Windows, so it probably has *nothing* to do
fundamentally with OS X, though the conversion of Finale to run on OS
X seems to have made the problem much more severe for Finale running
on OS X than it ever was before.