On Jan 23, 2005, at 1:08 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[answering Christopher Smith]

Safari leaks memory?

I don't think it does anymore....but it was a problem as far as I know up until 10.3.5 and possibly 10.3.6. But I'm hearing that this was fixed in 10.3.7.

I'm not exactly a computer geek, so I don't know what this means.

It is when an application, because of a bug, fails to return it's memory back to the OS once it is no longer needed or when it is very inefficient in the way that it uses memory. So over time, more RAM is used up than necessary...

I'm not a computer geek either, but I think I may be experiencing that. I'm on OS 10.3.4 on a lightly loaded PowerBook G4. There's only about a dozen applications I use regularly, and they're all pretty basic. I use Safari a lot. My personal computer habit is that I almost always close applications when I'm not using them, but I almost never shut down the computer.

I've noticed that I need to restart the computer about every four or five days due to what appears to tightness of memory. I usually see it first in icons appearing incorrectly -- first with the wrong picture, then with a corrupted picture, then not showing up at all. When it reaches the last phase, sometimes certain applications won't launch at all. (I think there were a few other weird things that happen at this phase )

Closing all the applications does not solve the problem. Restarting the compute always does.

Now that you mention this, next time I'm somewhere with a fast wireless connection, I'll do a software update and get my OS up to 10.3.whatever is latest, and I'll see if that makes the problem go away.

mdl

Hi Mark,

That should help...also,

Do you mind telling me how much RAM you have in your computer? You can do this off list if you prefer. Thanks. I'm trying to get a idea of what sorts of machines this is happening on...especially memory specs.

-K