Daniel Wolf wrote:

John Howell wrote:

At 10:20 PM -0800 1/24/05, Chuck Israels wrote:

Of course, if you followed that logic all the way through, you'd write the trombones in the tenor clef a lot of the time, and I don't do that. And I still have to decipher the alto clef for the viola parts (shame on me for not getting used to that by now). If I wrote more string music, I'd probably get to the point where that was as transparent to me as the saxophone transpositions are.

You would, I guarantee it. And not only for writing, but for playing. Early music often comes in a variety of clefs, and it's a little scary to start playing a part on, say, tenor recorder, in alto clef, and by the end of the piece be reading automatically!

John

And don't forget the extra benefit of gaining fluency in all the clefs -- transposition at sight becomes a breeze. IMO, this should still be a part of every musician's training.

Does anybody have a handy link to a list of the various transpositions relative to the various clefs? I know there is a horn method by Lorenzo Sansone which lists the transpositions utilizing clefs, but I don't have a copy of that book.

--
David H. Bailey