On 24 Jan 2005 at 22:45, Darcy James Argue wrote:

 On 24 Jan 2005, at 7:39 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

 > Has Darcy reported low memory as a part of his problems?

 That's hard to say.  I had 768 MB of RAM in my old Mac, but I also
 routinely run Mail and Safari and iKey and DragThing and RealPlayer
 and iTunes along with Finale, and I often have 20+ windows open in
 Finale, and a whole bunch of tabs open in Safari.  So yes, I expect
> memory was tight pretty much every time I encountered this bug.

Well, that's not really my definition of "tight" when you have 768MBs of real RAM, unless most of the programs you're running are bad memory hogs/leakers. I have routinely run a configuration on Windows similar to that for years, even before I had 786MBs of RAM on my own machine.

Actually, I think Darcy is right...Having all the applications open he mentioned and that many windows open would definitely cause memory to be "tight"...at least on a Macintosh. I suggest to my clients that they have a minimum of 512MBs RAM on their OS X Machines. Apple reAnd more if they are running several apps at a time and especially some of the more memory intensive apps I suggest starting with at least 1GB. I have 2GB's in my G5 and that is the low side of what I should have considering some of the applications I run on that machine.

If you're running out of memory in those configurations, then one or
more of those programs is being very inefficient in its memory usage.

That's not necessarily true. I would expect the kind of work load that Darcy is talking about to put that kind of stress on system resources on a Macintosh.

-K