On 29 Jan 2005 at 14:23, Aaron Sherber wrote:

> At 02:11 PM 01/29/2005, Carl Dershem wrote:
>  >Aaron Sherber wrote:
>  >
>  >  > Devil's advocate, for a moment: Why couldn't the musicians left
>  without >> a gig sharpen *their* computer skills, and use their
>  advanced >> musicianship to help make sampled or sequenced
>  performances better? > >Oh, yeah - that pays so well, pays *off* so
>  well (in terms of >performance, sharpening your computer skills is a
>  non-issue, unless >youre a computer performance person), and really
>  benefits a liver >performance.
>
> Christopher was suggesting (I think) that hand engravers put out of
> work by computer engravers "put their superior knowledge and
> professional competencies to excellent use" by learning to do the same
> thing on a computer. (Apologies if I've misread.) Why is it reasonable
> to suggest that one group of people apply their skills in another
> area, but not another group? No one, in any field, is promised
> available employment for life.

Because the two situations are completely different.

An engraver creates master scores/parts that are reproduced an
infinite number of time, whether she uses pens and ink or Finale.

A performing musician gets paid for each time the sit down and play
the music. If they only play it once to produce the MIDI version,
then they aren't going to get paid as much (what would be the point
of paying the same amount of money for what is obviously a lesser
result?). Even if you argue that they *shouldn't* be paid as much,
since they can now service a lot more shows in the same amount of
time, what you are *now* suggesting is that the number of musicians
should vastly shrink. I don't doubt that it wouldn't take fewer than
25 people to produce MIDI versions of every Broadway musical on the
boards in any season. That's a lot fewer than the number of musicians
being hired to play for those shows.