Where the difference is, is that computers have not put engravers out of work (except in the very lowest echelons of publication) to the same extent that sequencers have cut into musicians' jobs. There is not enough work to go around to all the displaced musicians, unlike former hand-copyists and engravers.

Christopher

Oh how I wish this was true...but computers have put a lot of copyists out of work as well. For each live musician lost, that is one less part that needs to be copied on a computer or otherwise. So much of the music we hear on television is now midi. If not all midi then partially midi and partially sweetened with a few live players. So a lot of T.V. work for copyists has gone away.

On a brighter note...there is some work for both live musicians and copyists coming from video/computer games. Some of the larger game companies are wanting to use live orchestras for their products. So that has been a good thing for some of us here!

-K