I meant to say _Mamma Mia_ is, I assume, being played with an orchestra of 20 or 25 OR an even smaller combo.

RBH

dhbailey wrote:

Aaron Sherber wrote:

At 09:37 PM 01/30/2005, Raymond Horton wrote:
>There is another, major, difference between musicians fighting for their
>jobs, and the ice-deliverers vs. refrigerators comparison. In the
>latter case, the new refrigerator was a SUPERIOR product, and the for
>the ice deliverers to fight progress would have been futile. In the
>case of live musicians vs.synthesis, musicians are fighting an INFERIOR
>product

I agree. I made the point a few posts back that there are (at least) three separate issues here, of which the labor issue is one and the quality issue is another. The iceman example was speaking strictly to the labor issue.

Let's see now, we're talking of "quality" and Bobby Vinton in the same sentence? It seems to me that the question of why Bobby Vinton was on that orchetra's stage (was he doing Schubert lieder or something?) is as germane to this discussion as to why he was allowed to use a synthesizer.

That the orchestra had lowered its standards in order to try to draw a larger audience speaks volumes about how the battle is already lost in many ways. If Bobby Vinton had had to maintain certain vocal standards the way a classical/non-pop singer would have to, in order to perform with the orchestra, would he have been allowed on the stage to begin with, synthesizer or no?