> This whole field of research has always seemed hopelessly mired in a
> priori assumptions and inadequate study design. I consider the people
> who claim "scientific" basis for tonality to be the phrenologists of
> modern musical scholarship.
>
> And don't get me started on the bloody prehistoric flute hoax. David
Fenton

...or, for me, the derivation of the Western major scale from upper partials
in the overtone series, e.g. "Subtonic Partials - The seventh and fourteenth
partials are the out-of-tune
subtonic degrees found in the third octave (7th partial) and fourth octave
(14th partial) of a given series. It may help to think of the seventh
partial as a simple interval to remember its scale degree although it is
actually a minor 21st from the fundamental."

Richard Yates