At 2/7/2005 01:31 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

>I'll argue yes, and easily. I'm not an academic, and never have been. But I
>
>If by 'other musics' you mean the bulk of music people listen to and buy,
>then Mozart can't hold a candle in this argument either. But there are many
>measures of success that include both Mozart and Cage as 'moving, exciting,
>attractive' -- and I'll take the latter any day of the week.

Exactly, if Mozart is not successful, then Cage is certainly far behind him.

>>If the second question had been: "Has other music, composed on the same
>>principle, been more successful?"
>>
>>The answer would be "NO".
>
>There's a world of them out there. But I can only sputter at such a statement.

Perhaps you could enlighten us. I have never heard of anyone following in Cage's footsteps. And he/they certainly never even reached the successfulness of Mozart.

I would doubt that they reached the "successfulness" of Cage, but then, I don't know who they are.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley