On 7 Feb 2005 at 11:32, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> >ere is nothing important in music that comes from science.
> >
> >--
> David W. Fenton
>
> You've really got to stop blurting out things like that w.o thinking.
> Valved brasses? Boehm-system woodwinds? Electric and electronic
> instruments? MIDI? Nylon strings? Computer composition? Computer sound
> synthesis? Sound recording?

None of those things is MUSIC.

> Are these things not important? not musical? not "from science?"

The carpenter's tools are not the point of his work.

> Beyond that, there is the less measurable by very important influence
> of acoustic and music-psychological theories upon compositional
> styles, going back at least to Berlioz.

I would be interested to see specific examples in pieces of music
where these things produced events in the musical foreground that are
traceable back to these theories.

Musical meaning has *nothing* to do with acoustics, any more than
meaning in language has anything to do with phonemes.

Yes, patterns of phonemes produce patterns that convey meaning, but
the phonemes themselves MEAN NOTHING.

A perfect fifth is one of the phonemens of music.

And it's just as meaningless.