This has become an essential piece of information since the copyable
staff lists in 2005 (whose workings I have yet to fathom).  If you do
not use this Shift/C command, you end up with extraneous score
expressions all over the place, and they come form anywhere in the
score, even if you copy from one extracted part to another.  Let me
make that clear: you have a score expression in part "A"; you copy from
part "B" into part "C", and score expressions from part "A" appear
gratuitously in part "C" (along with extra copies of all the score
expressions in part "B").  I can't figure out why that happens, but you
can avoid it by using the Shift/C dialog and selecting only what you
want to copy.  The only shortcoming I find to using this method is that
there is no way to copy measure attached smart shapes along with the
entries, so you loose hairpins when copying from part to part -
something of an irritation, in my book.

Chuck

Dear Chuck and Matthew,

This baffles me also. The 3 selection check boxes you get on 'copy and filter' put smart shapes and score expressions into the same category, therefore NOT allowing any real filtering. This destroys the whole idea of having a filter in the first place if you ask me - as you can't.

BTW, if you hold down opt and shift while in the edit menu you get to do the filter to a clip file, but this still doesn't give you the result of filtering out any score expression but leaving in the smart shapes.

Another thing that I find confusing is the reference to the smart shapes (attached to measures) which is in the first check box and then the smart shapes (attached to notes) which is in the third check box, which you actually get into and can make selections from. What's the difference here?

I reckon Make Music has made an error in this menu item, because if you highlight a measure with Mass Mover and go to Mass Edit menu to select 'Copy Measure Items' you get to select all the different items from the lists under both Measure Items and Entry Items - something I use a lot when copying music across staves within the same file (in fact I would love this selection to be enabled and 'saved' as a preference...and yes, I've requested it to MM many times!)). I believe that this should happen under the filter menu choice but doesn't - probably a bug.

Another annoyance, one which I have written up to MM, contains a similar fault when you use metatool 2 (explode music) with Mass Mover. You'll get staff expressions and slurs that go across to the 'expolded parts but not any hairpins - strange, but a bug also I think?

Jonathan