Hi Roger,

While I agree that Finale should have support for compound chords (and listed a few workarounds in previous posts), I can assure you that you that when most piano players see Bb13(#11), the voicing they will play is very likely to be a C triad over a Bb7 chord. In other words, I don't think there's any particular advantage to using a compound chord here -- the result will be the same even if you write Bb13(#11). It certainly doesn't make any difference whether you're writing for big band or not.

At any rate, if there is a particular voicing that you need from the piano player at that moment, then you should write it out! As a piano player, nothing is more frustrating than the composer/arranger trying to "lead" your voicings by using nonstandard chord symbols. If you want a specific voicing, write it out. Otherwise, you have to trust us to choose an appropriate voicing.

Compound chords are more properly used for chords that cannot easily be written as non-compound chords, for instance:

Gb
----
C-∆

- Darcy