On 10 Mar 2005 at 12:05, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

> The recommendation of VMware was a good one for Windows users. VMware
> allows you to create an endless supply of "throwaway" virtual machines
> on which you can continue to reinstall the OS from scratch every 30
> days. Of course, all you'll need to install on the virtual machine
> will be the OS and Finale, so it won't take near as long as a
> traditional reformat/reinstall.

If you had it on a separate hard drive partition, you could image it
and restore the image.

This looks pretty viable, actually, but it is dependent on 3rd-party
software (VMWare) that is rather pricey ($200), and that is itself
somewhat precarious, being a one-product company (though a division
of a larger one).

Assuming VMWare is still around when MM goes under seems to me to be
just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

The only way you can really be certain you can keep a working version
of Finale in the event of the demise of MM is to have:

1. your last-purchased version of Finale (assuming you only need the
one).

2. the OS installation disk for the latest version of the OS on which
your #1 version of Finale runs on.

3. a machine on which you are guaranteed to be able to install both
the OS and Finale.

The easiest way to accomplish this is simply to keep a dedicated PC,
fully set up. You could add:

4. a copy of VMWare that runs on the OS in #3.

and that would make it possible to circumvent the 30-day expiration,
but if you've got a PC that is in running order with an authenticated
version of Finale already installed, you don't really need that!

So, I don't really see that VMWare adds much value to the equation.