On 23 Mar 2005 at 11:27, Chuck Israels wrote:

> I know you guys would know.  Nice to know this is not a Mac problem
> for those of us on this side of things.

There are two classes of Windows spyware:

1. the things that are installed without your knowledge because of
vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer (usually involving some form of
deception or obfuscation), AND

2. spyware that is installed as part of the installation of programs
that the user has chosen to install. These usually provide the
advertising infrastructure that supports free software, and almost
all of the programs that carry this kind of payload are used for
downloading music. Kazaa and WinAmp are two that I know of that
install garbage.

So, while type 1 is impossible on the Mac, type 2 is quite possible,
and may already be installed.

I don't think Mac users should be so self-satisified about the issue
as the discussion here has suggested.