It depends on what the peripherals are and how they're connected. I recently bought an iMac G5 to replace my old G3 (still running OS 8.6). The only extra bit of hardware I needed to buy was a simple USB MIDI interface for the MIDI keyboard (I used the modem port for MIDI on the G3). My printer (hp Laserjet 1200), works fine with OSX.

Michael Cook