On 12 Apr 2005, at 5:08 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I think it would be OK on a guitar or bass part, where one might expect the player to sound anyway on the 4th beat, but a pianist or drummer might make a big difference between two 8ths on the 4th beat and one 8th on the "and" of 4.

Yep. That's why good copyists don't do that.

I guess I just have to accept the fact, kicking and screaming, that a good solution doesn't exist in our normal notational system for jazz.

I've never had any problem with the standard solution -- slash on beat four, push on the and of four. If you're willing to accept that (stemless) slashes are just *beat markers*, not notes, then there's no problem. There's certainly no problem reading it.

I have finally settled on kicks UNDER time - putting a rhythmic cue UNDER the staff so it doesn't interfere with the chord symbols.

That's what I do for rhythmic cues not intended to be doubled by the player.

It seems more normal to me to put the cues OVER the staff, but I end up having to raise the chord symbols so much that it messes up my layout.

It's also harder to read that way.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]