I make a big distinction between music that is to be sightread in performance
and music that can be rehearsed several times.

For me this distinction affects not only note spelling--the issue here--but
also page layout.
For music to be performed at sight or on only one readthrough, I will simplify
spelling (this problem arises most often in diminished constructions or
substitute harmonies) unless the simplification is grossly misleading (of
course, I will do the F# in G minor). As Hiro says, to write a B in the key of
Gb in a normal context is misleading.  I will also strive more to fit a phrase
or a half-phrase on a single line. I will often end a page before the bottom in
order to end with a rest where a page can be turned easily, and I avoid
anything beyond the simplest "roadmaps," especially avoiding a reverse page
turn.
For music to be performed after several rehearsals, I tend to use the
"theoretical" spellings more often, and I am slightly more loose about the
phrase/half-phrase thing. I will still try to end a page on a rest if there is
to be a turn, though ;-)

Here's a question--I find myself writing fewer "roadmaps" in general since
using software. Cut-and-paste works well! Some people rag on me for this since
they want to know if something is a recap or some such. My response is always
"if you can't tell what it is, turn your ears on--it's tonal music" or some
such.
Simple repeats with 1st and 2nd endings, ok--but much beyond that, I'm writin'
it out. If something is meant to be a Coda, I may mark it as such, but that's
about it. Am I alone in my abandonment of roadmaps?
Jim