On 18 Apr 2005 at 8:48, Christopher Smith wrote:

> I.    Generally, tertian chords are spelled in 3rds from the root up. But
> the roots of ambiguous sounding chords (especially aug. triads and o7
> chords) are sometimes controversial and, then, so are their spellings.

I have to disagree with this comment. In any particular musical
context, a diminished or augmented chord should be playing one role,
and should then have one indentifiable root, which means there's only
one spelling that makes sense.

Of course, both chords also serve as harmonic pivot points, and
therefore can have two justifiable roots (one for the previous
context, one for the upcoming context). That's a feature, not a bug!