The recent discussion about whether to combine movements or separate
got me thinking on how I was going to prepare parts for my large body
of piano quartet and quintet files (e.g., my research over the past
14 years). I started out in WinFin2.01 in 1991, and back then, there
was no possibility of having 3 and 4 movements of a piano quartet in
one file. I've since continued the same setup.

Well, it's getting time that I'm about to start preparing parts for
playing the damned things, and yesterday afternoon I experimented
with using clip files to assemble the parts.

It was a nightmare.

What I did was first extract the string parts for all three
movements, then create the complete violin part by using clip files
to import the extracted violin parts for movements 2 and 3. Then I
formated the whole part.

I then saved the violin part as a new file (for the viola) and
cleared all the data and broke up the multi-measure rests. I think
created clip files from the three extracted viola parts, and copied
them into this new blank viola part (which inherited the layout of
the violin part). I then reformatted that.

I repeated this part for the cello.

Again, it was nightmarishly difficult. Granted, it took me a while to
figure out that I really had to clear the measures and break the
multi-measure rests before pasting the clip files over top of the
existing measures (I've never quite understood the logic behind empty
measures pasting over measures with notes in them leaving the target
notes alone -- I've yet to figure out a normal situation in which
there'd be any benefit to this behavior: I've just grown accustomed
to it). Once that was all solved, things were much easier.

But there were other kinds of weird problems. In one case I ended up
with a bunch of phantom layer 2 notes from a completely different
movement (they were in a different meter). In another case, I had
measures that wouldn't respace properly (indeed, throughout, I had
major problems with the widths of multi-measure rests and empty
measures, which uniformly would end up too wide, regardless of my
settings for minimum width).

And worst of all was the clef change problem -- I thought I was being
clever before creating the clip files by instead of just checking
COPY EVERYTHING I instead went into COPY MEASURE ITEMS and COPY ENTRY
ITEMS and setting both to ALL, but still, many clef changes were
missed. This in turn got me into to the old situation where after re-
implementing multiple clef changes throughout a part, you eventually
come to a measure where you need a mid-measure clef change, and the
clef tool won't activate. In the past I've always been able to insert
a new measure, copy the problem measure's notes into and then the
thing would work, but in one case, it wouldn't work at all. in the
end, I re-copied the passage to a clip file and re-inserted it, and
then was able to implement the proper clef changes.

So, today, I thought that perhaps I was foolish not to simply combine
the scores into one file and to then extract from that. Well, the
problems are multiplied, especially with regard to lost clef changes.

This is WinFin 2K3, so it's not because I'm using an old version of
Finale. The files I'm working with are based on old templates (maybe
as old as WinFin 3.52), but I don't quite understand why that should
be an issue.

How *should* I be doing this? I shudder to think how many weeks of
work it will take me if it never gets any better than this, since I
have literally dozens of complete works with 3 and 4 movements to
assemble either at the score level or at the part level.

And it seems to me that the MEASURE tool in page view is *extremely*
slow. I can't imagine how slow reformatting the latter movements is
going to be, given how slow it got just working with single-line
extracted parts.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!