To be honest, I have rarely seen tenor clefs in late 18th century cello parts, and there is no special reason for using treble clefs, it is just a very normal way of notating high cello passages in classical/early romantic music. It's not notated as 8va or 8vb, but as far as I know it is always read an octave down. I just want to make sure this is the case.

d. collins schrieb:
Johannes Gebauer écrit:

I just want to make sure that I haven't missed a vital piece of
information: Can I generally assume that a treble clef in 18th century
cello parts means an octave down, or are there exceptions from the rule
which are more than simple misprints or forgotten 8va?

I always thought this was a fairly recent convention. The 8va treble clef and the tenor clef (C4) cover almost the same register. So what would be the reason for using 8va treble clef at a time where the C-clefs were still widely used?

Dennis