On 6 Jun 2005 at 16:11, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:30 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
> >
> > I assume you have the same number of options with multiple triangles
> > that move the baseline in different contexts, as with lyrics, where
> > the last triangle moves the baseline for a single system in page
> > view?
>
> Yes, the interface is identical (but isn't it the SECOND last one that
> does what you say? I've never found a use for the last triangle.)

You may be right -- I don't do lyrics often enough for that question
to be something I can answer without trying it out.

Doesn't the last triangle have an effect on the selected syllable?

> >> The drawback with this is that very low notes in the other staves
> >> will NOT have their dynamics automatically pushed down, as the
> >> default presently is. You will have to nudge or drag them manually.
> >
> > In most pieces, and in most staves, this would surely not be a
> > terrible problem. I foresee it as a moderate issue only with the
> > left hand of piano parts.
>
> Depending on where you set your lower baseline, it is also a problem
> for clarinet, bass trombone, tuba, bassoon, and low trumpet parts. I
> like the auto avoidance myself, and would have no problem duplicating
> expressions and assigning the metatools to, say, the row of keys below
> the equivalents for the regular dynamics.

Well, as I said, I find the idea of duplicating
expressions/articulations just for maintaining different default
positioning definitions to be odious, as it leads to enormous long-
term maintenance problems for your libraries.

At least, for me.

Indeed, it's a situation that's very similar to something I posted
about in an Access database newsgroup earlier today:

     One project I took over in 2000 had something like 60 or 70
     reports. I reduced that to 6 or 7 reports, because it was really
     just 6 or 7 identical reports tied to different data sets. This cost
     them a lot in development time, but in long-term maintenance it was
     a huge win, as, since that time, they would have added another 20*7
     reports if they'd continued doing it the old way, when all they do
     now is add a record to a data table in order to get the new set of
     reports.

My proposal for sub-classing doesn't work exactly the same way, but
it *does* have the same long-term maintenance benefit, as altering,
say, the default velocity of a dynamic marking or the length of your
staccato would be done in only one place instead of in all the
multiple instances you've created to handle different situations.

This is not so much of a problem for expressions/articulations that
have no effect on playback (such as bowing marks), but the UI for
articulations, in particular, doesn't give much help to you with
distinguishing them, unless there's been some change to the
articulations dialog in 2004+ that is analogous to the addition of
display descriptions for expressions.