On 10 Jun 2005 at 8:39, Christopher Smith wrote:

> David Fenton wrote:
>
> >      After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil
> > Schiller
> >      addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there
> >      are
> > no
> >      plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That
> >      doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They
> >      probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude
> >      that."
> >
> >      However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people
> >      run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not
> >      allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he
> >      said.
> >
> > "We won't do anything to preclude that" seems pretty definitive to
> > me.
>
> Sorry, I must be dense. It doesn't seem definitive at all to me. Does
> it mean that some genius kid hacker could modify the new Mac (or
> Windows) to run Windows, or that anybody could install Windows and all
> will be well? Will it run in a way that we will be happy with, at a
> reasonable speed with all ports addressed, MIDI and networking and
> printers and external drives and all?

The Apple spokesman definitively aswered the question you cut out of
the quotation which was:

> I'm not sure how this will play out...does Apple allow windows to run
> natively on their boxes or do they close the loopholes and allow only
> OS X . . .

That's all I was responding to. How they do it, to what degree, I
don't know. But Apple is on record as saying they're not going to do
anything on purpose to try to prohibit Windows from running.

That doesn't in any way imply they'll be doing anything to *help*,
either, such as providing Windows drivers for Apple-created hardware
devices.

It's important to observe and retain context.