This issue of long-standing bugs being fixed points up a feature listed on the
website that greets me with dismay. That is the "Studio View & Powerful Mixer"
feature. Some on this list are already salivating at the thought, but for all
its possible value, I believe it is a rueful step.

That is because it is a step out of the notation world into the crowded
sequencer market. If Finale tries to be all things, it will be none. MM is a
tiny company. The introduction of sequencer features risks the possibility that
most of their resources the next few years will be devoted to enhancing those.
I am extremely concerned that we may have seen the virtual end of
notation-related enhancements for a long while. The 2006 release already
apparently provides essentially none, at least based on the new features list
at the website. Moving around the items in the Copy/Paste UI and calling it
"engraver" hardly makes it a significant notation-related improvement. And any
time a UI gets shifted around, I wonder what feature(s) might have been taken
away.

The new plugins look like they could be moderately nice, but plugins by
definition cannot add new functionality. At their best, they automate the old
functionality. This is probably the case with new plugins like "Split Measure"
and "Mid-measure repeats", although one hopes there might be bug fixes for some
of the long-standing problems related to, e.g., split measures, or minor
functional tweaks to make the plugins' jobs a bit easier.