On 29 Jun 2005 at 23:49, Owain Sutton wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > Are you really talking about notation there? What I mean by that is
> > that isn't the musical content coming before the writing down?
>
> Should the musical content not always be the priority?!

Yes, and the notation should not contradict it.

Music with 3 beats to the half note, but with a 6/4 meter is, to me,
a case where the notation contradicts the musical content.

But this is because I recognize only two valid interpretations for
6/4, 2/H. and 6/Q -- and my reason for eliminating 3/H is because I
can't see a reason for using 6/4 to indicate what 3/2 clearly
indicates without the confusion of the compound time signature.