On Jun 30, 2005, at 1:07 AM, Chuck Israels wrote:

Christopher Smith / 2005/06/29 / 06:00 PM wrote:

Just to thoroughly discredit my own argument, though, here are two
exceptions. There are two pieces of common repertoire which are
ordinarily written in 6/8 (divided 3+3) with swing SIXTEENTHS - "All
Blues" by Miles Davis, and "Better Get Hit in Your Soul" by Charles
Mingus. In the case of the former, I am convinced that jazz musicians
read this in 6/8 for no other reason than because the first published
lead sheet was notated that way, without reference to Miles or any of
his musicians.

I wrote an arrangement of this and notated it in 6/4.  Bill Evans questioned that decision, because he had (of course) seen the original (in 6/8), but he did not quarrel with the results, which simply made the reading easier for jazz players who, as I think Chris said before, are hopelessly tied to a quarter note basic pulse.  (And I count myself among those players.)

Well, there's a piece of information you can take to the bank. It WAS originally notated in 6/8, and one of the original musicians testifies to it. I stand corrected.

Pure gold, this list, I tell you!

Christopher