Ken,

I like the idea of "secondary subdominant." In "Hey Jude" the repeated progression sounds like IV/IV-IV-I. To some Schenkerians that would not be a progression at all but a prolongation of the tonic. There's a very interesting piece by Orlando di Lasso called "Anna, mihi dilecta" where the chord progressions are either third relations or plagal relations. The "falling fifth" bass progression is almost nonexistent in that piece except for the final cadence.

Hal