Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

David W. Fenton wrote:

That is, by contemplating switching to Sibelius, aren't you contemplating getting yourself into a much worse situation than you are with activated Finale?
I would say so. The Sibelius data file structure is proprietary, and it is illegal in the U.S. under the DMCA, to reverse engineer the file to determine the structure. If Sibelius goes out of business, or decides to impose a use license on users of existing Sibelius files, Users have two choices: Music XML, and reenter everything in another system.

And the new data format for Finale2K5 has been released publicly? Finale2K4?

All I ever recall that MakeMusic ever released concerning their data format was the format for the ETF file, and that was way back around Finale97 or so, if I recall correctly.

How will our Finale data be any better accessible than Sibelius data, should MakeMusic go out of business and nobody buy the Finale assets at auction?

--
David H. Bailey