On 6 Jul 2005 at 21:17, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2005, at 12:39 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

> >> Is there a problem with that? Plugins seem to be a good way to go,
> >> as they don't take up CPU cycles when you are using the program
> >> "normally". This is what I like about the TG Tools lyric plugins,
> >> for example, over Finale's auto-word extensions.
> >
> > Well, I would assume that code that implements the MassEdit tool's
> > functionality doesn't take up CPU cycles when I'm in Speedy, so I
> > don't see this defense of plugins as relevant.
>
> Well, you WOULD see it as relevant if you had Finale slow to a crawl
> when Auto-Word Extensions is on in your 300 measure choral work with
> orchestra and several vocal soloists. Having word extensions update
> ONLY when I ask them to from a plugin is a distinct advantage in
> speed.

Well, that's actually a poorly-chosen example. Beaming is calculated
as you edit the notes. That is, when you enter an 8th note, then
enter a second one, the calculation of beam angle occurs right then,
before the 2nd 8th note is displayed. If you add a 3rd 8th note as
part of the beam, it then recalculates the beam angle, and if you add
a 4th, it recalculates again.

It's using a very small amount of data, the data that describes the
notes within the current beamed group, and based on a certain
algorithm, displays that single group.

After that, there is no further re-calculation.

But when you edit the notes in the beamed grouping, such as dragging
a note to the right or left, or by changing one of the pitches or
adding additional pitches, the beaming is recalculated.

The CPU cycles are used *as needed*, and only when there is an edit
to the data that forms the inputs to the algorithm to calculate beam
angle.

That's the place where Robert's code should be.

And given the contemplation of dynamic parts, where a transposed part
might end up with different wedges than the concert pitch version in
the score, it seems obvious to me that the adjustments that Robert's
plug-in makes belong in Finale's basic beaming algorithm.

And it wouldn't add any overhead or slowdown to the data entry
process at all.

> >> Command-D (control D on the PC) to redraw usually takes care of it
> >> for me.
> >
> > Ctrl-D in a *dialog* box? The dialog box shows the WRONG FONT.
>
> Sorry, I missed what the problem was originally (I need to read
> better).
>
> This doesn't seem to happen on my Mac version, though I DO have to hit
> redraw once I am back in the score for my measure number edits to show
> up properly.
>
> Sounds like a bug.

Well, it can mostly be ameliorated by setting the defaults for
measure regions, but it's nonetheless a bug.