On 6 Jul 2005 at 14:14, Robert Patterson wrote:

> The last two annual releases reveal that MM is concerned with other
> matters than notation. Unfortunately for those of us who care about
> notation, MM's actions suggest that they believe there is more money
> in other aspects of the music business, and they are clearly headed
> there, using Finale as a springboard. The sad part is, if I were a
> stockholder, I'd probably agree with them.

I'm with David Bailey in a state of mystification as to how linked
parts is a "mere" notation issue.

Except for people who use Finale as nothing but a sequencer (people
who I'd say are either masochistic or just not very smart), who I'd
think would be in a very small minority, part extraction is something
*everyone* has to do, unless they aren't preparing any performance
materials at all.

Dynamic parts as they appear to be implemented in Sibelius (based on
the demo) seem to me to be something that would benefit the vast
majority of Finale users, or, at least, all those who print out parts
(which is surely more than 50% of users). And the way it seems to be
implemented is intuitive and makes sense, and saves time and effort.

I just don't see how anyone could class this as a "mere" engraving
feature, as something that's of real use only to the professional
engravers.

On the contrary, my bet is that, properly implemented with good
default settings, this feature would mean that the vast majority of
Finale users would no longer have to do *any* tweaking of parts, as
they'd come out "good enough" on the first try, whereas with the
current setup, it's only the engravers who probably understand the
process well enough to get some of it semi-automated, so they don't
end up tweaking absolutely everything in each part manually.

This looks like exactly the kind of feature that brings benefit to
all the constituencies Finale serves.