At 01:05 PM 07/06/2005, Andrew Stiller wrote:
>Part view is something you (not me, I never use it) use before the
>actual parts are extracted. Any dynamic linkage feature that I can ever
>conceive using would be applicable to parts that have *already been
>extracted and edited* and are therefore in completely separate files
>from the main score.

Andrew, I think your assumption that there's linkage between a score and *extracted* parts is what's causing some of the confusion here. In fact, dynamic parts as implemented by Sibelius and as envisioned for Finale don't involve extraction at all -- except in the sense of Finale's special part extraction.

In dynamic parts, each part is nothing more or less than a special view of the score. The reason that note changes to score are reflected immediately in the parts and vice versa is because the notes are only stored in one place. On the other hand, the file keeps track of different positioning information for things like expressions -- one position in the score and a different one in the part -- so that you can make small tweaks as needed.

Aaron.