John Abram wrote:

A twelfth note is a triplet eighth note. They are sometimes used in new music (eg Mark-Anthony Turnage has used it frequently I believe) Henry Cowell was way ahead of the game with this sort of thinking.

Why is 12/12 not like 12/8? Because 12/8 is not triplets.
Yes, I know it sounds like triplets, but it's not.

You're really splitting hairs here -- putting 3 evenly spaced notes within one beat sounds like triplets to me, no matter how it's represented in the time signature.

What's the difference? Are you trying to say that triplets are only triplets if they are 3 notes played in the time normally occupied by 2 of the same notes, and since in 12/8 the 8ths aren't played in the time normally occupied by 2 8ths they aren't really triplets?

What does a 12th-note look like?

--
David H. Bailey