On 6 Jul 2005 at 15:41, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> It's not just the dynamic parts.  Going through Sib 4, I'm finding
> lots of nice, little features Finale would do well to implement:
>
>  • Translucent palettes (or "tool windows" as Sibelius calls them)

What use is there for this? Just to make it more Mac-like?

>  • A program option to "Print Date and Time Footer" on all documents,
> with the option to choose between the date of most recent printing, or
> most recent saving.

That's doable in Finale, since you have inserts for both current date
and file date. And I prefer Finale's method, since it's not a choice
between one or the other, but allows you to do both in the same
printout.

>  • A user-configurable list of font equivalents, and the option to
> choose which fonts should be used (in order of priority) if a
> specified font is not available.

Finale used to have font substitutions built in, but there doesn't
appear to be any such functionality there any longer (based on a
perusal of the online documentation's index). Of course, my printer
driver allows me to do this, but only with the PostScript driver (why
would that be?).

>  • Custom keyboard shortcut sets, with the ability to assign your own
> shortcuts to any menu item or action.

I sure would like that one!

>  • The ability to set separate colors and textures for score view vs.
> parts view (I know some people will snicker at that, but it's actually
> a helpful visual cue).
>
>  • AHA!  There it is -- a checkbox for "View Parts In New Windows"!
>  So
> David, you *can* compare multiple parts side-by-side.

Yay! :)

What happens when you have it unchecked?

>  • An option to automatically check for maintenance updates.

This is something I hate with a web browser and any number of other
programs, but would actually like with a program like Finale, where
the the updates usually are quite important and helpful.

>  • The ability to simply copy and paste the selected music directly
> into other applications (like, say, Word) without having to export
> graphics.

I wonder how they manage that. It's a complex problem on Windows,
though much less complex on OS X.

>  • The ability to add and edit the list of expressions recognized by
> Espressivo (Sib's Human Playback equivalent).

Is there no similar functionality in Finale? Does that mean you can't
really control what Human Playback does -- it's just all or nothing?