Matthew Hindson Fastmail Account wrote:

Tyler wrote:

Now if you want to get specific,
the reason other people wanted it was because those
other people saw a point in it. And quite frankly so
did the people at MakeMusic. But when it comes right
down to it, the reason to include the feature stems
first from the fact that people WANT it.

I requested a mixer in the next version of Finale, but mainly because I was sick of having to create all these non-printing expressions to try to be able to hear certain parts in the score for checking purposes that were rendered quite inaudible by the out-of-tune, unbalanced solo violin patches. So, therefore, to correct an inadequacy in Finale in the first place.

The differences in patch volumes are the fault of the soundfonts, or the module or whatever device is actually producing the sounds, not the fault of Finale's notational capability or its playback capability.

The mixer just means they'll have even less reason to normalize the patches in their soundfont or to ensure that GPO or other Kontakt-based sample libraries normalize their patches.

While it will help solve our immediate problems of trying to get uniform playback volumes, MakeMusic can use it as a means NOT to have to pay extra for better sample programming.

The inadequacy has never been in Finale, the notation program. Only in whatever devices we choose to play the files through, whether Finale's provided soundfont, our own soundfonts or soundcards, Kontakt or other soft-synth sample-playback software.

Just a kludge to obviate further responsibility on the corporate end of things.

[snip]

As for the linked parts/score, someone brought up educational usage as an area where it wouldn't be important -- for theory/harmony classes perhaps, but certainly for arranging, orchestrating or composing classes it would be a welcome addition.

--
David H. Bailey