Owain Sutton wrote:
[snip]

Why is it inapproptiate to give decimal-point metronome marks which will be ignored, but perfectly appropriate to state "Q=80" and see it equally ignored? (Although I'm not necessarily stating that this is the reason Ferneyhough uses these metronome markings.)

Because a serious musician can set a metronome to 80 and at least try to make an attempt to follow that tempo, while nobody has a metronome that I've ever seen which will give a 69.75 tempo so nobody can even try to follow it, even if they want to.

--
David H. Bailey