At 5:39 PM -0400 7/7/05, Andrew Stiller wrote:

In Broadcast Standard American, w and wh are pronounced identically, and the phoneme [hw] simply does not exist.

I'm not sure whether you are referring to a reference book, or just to general practice. I do know that I grew up having been taught to differentiate between the two by a mother who besides being a fine theory teacher was an equally fine choral conductor, and I still draw the distinction between the two and so train my own choral ensembles.

I might mention that in the early days of radio and the national networks, the networks turned to the west coast, from Washington State to California, to find announcers with neutral, non-dialectal pronunciation so as not to offend anyone. Quite a few of my parents' college buddies from the 1920s (at Washington State) ended up in broadcasting for that very reason.

Even in British RP [hw] is not universal. Gilbert and Sullivan's "Never mind the why and wherefore" is almost unsingable if you insist on rendering the Hs, and I know of no recording in which that is done.

Funny, I just tried it and had no problem.

We all understand that the English language is constantly changing. This just happens to be a change I don't care for because it creates homonyms, and therefore potential confusion, where they needn't be, and no amount of appeal to authority will change that.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music