On 8 Jul 2005 at 10:21, Christopher Smith wrote:

> My trick was (for 4 sixteenths, a quintuplet, and a quarter note) to
> say out loud "TEE-ry tee-ry MATH-e-ma-ti-cal TAH." My nine year old
> can do it (I tested it out on him.)

Hmm. You pronounce "mathematical" differently than I do. My rhythm
for it is 8th 8th 16th 16th 8th, with "ma-ti" being a subdivision of
the length of the other syllables. In other words, four feet.

Yes, I can distort the pronunciation to be a quintuplet.

I don't see quintuplets as terribly difficult by themselves, falling
within a regular meter. Scriabin wrote a prelude (op. 11, #14) in
15/8 (5+5+5/8) that uses the same texture and affect as Chopin's G
Minor prelude (#22, in 6/8). I played it in college, and it really
wasn't hard.

But it had the quituplet beat as a given texture throughout, not
switching back and forth between beats of 5/16ths and beats of some
other subdivision. It's the switching about between subdivisions that
I think is something that musicians generally don't do too well or
too accurately. Yes, the finest musicians do, but most of us don't
have the privilege of working with them, so we are, I think, fated to
have such things realized only imperfectly.