Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

David W. Fenton wrote:

I honestly don't think MakeMusic is big enough to run their development projects in that manner. It basically means running multiple codebases at the same time, and forking them before you've finished implementing the features in a previous version.

Well, I didn't think of it in terms of multiple codebases, so much as the development process being more involved,. and taking longer than most on the list seem to think. I suspect the 2006 codebase was substantially closed sometime late last summer or last autumn, and that some people began working at that point on the 2007 codebase. My hunch is that someone at Makemusic! already knows the 2007 update feature list with 85 percent confidence.

I further suspect that if someone submitted a brand new idea that did not yet appear in any form on MakeMusic!'s "to do" list, and they felt it was so compelling that it had to be included, that it might well be Fin 2k8 or even 2k9 before it made it to light.

I agree that the planning stages may be a version or 2 ahead of the programming stages. This might explain why in the past a bug has appeared and then been squashed in a maintenance release, only to resurface in the next upgrade, needing to be squashed in THAT maintenance release. The newer upgrade having worked with the original "gold" code for the previous version before that bug was squashed.

Interesting! I can also see such a planning-ahead need because there may be some programming skills needed to be gained for certain things or at least negotiations with 3rd-parties to include their software, and I'm sure that doesn't happen overnight.

--
David H. Bailey