Johannes Gebauer wrote:

Can someone remind me why I _shouldn't_ switch to Sibelius? Seems like it much more fulfills the promises of "CAE" (computer aided engraving...).

My quick 2c:

- No scroll view in Sibelius. Having the last bars on the page jump around I find intensely irritating. Also as one of the Davids here said, it makes it more difficult to select different things.

- Very few metatools for things like time signatures, which are a big time-saver in Finale. Mind you if you're dealing mostly with baroque music you may not need such things... Also the option-click to copy function in Sibelius is great.

- The time signature function in Sibelius is actually pretty clunky from what I can see if you need them to change a lot.

- No Sibelius Notepad.

- No Speedy Entry in Sibelius.

- You can't undo plugins (this is truly bizarre IMHO - what application doesn't have an Undo for some of its functions?).

- No TGTools Staff List Manager or TGTools Cue Notes function in Sibelius.

- No graphic expression editor in Sibelius like in Finale.

- You might not have time to learn another application to the standard to which you currently know Finale.

- There is no rhyming dictionary in Sibelius ;-) (Funnily enough I needed to use this the other day).

I think that it would still depend on your notational needs though. I wonder if you could make something as beautiful as your quasi-Henle scores using Sibelius? That would be the real test?

It's interesting though, if I had to make a prediction about which application will still be around in 5-10 years, I think it would be Sibelius. It's caught up in most areas to Finale and in some areas, such as House Styles, its Setup Wizard and the new Dynamic Parts, has well and truly surpassed it.

Matthew