Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

dhbailey wrote:

If Finale would make include some templates which are predefined for various house-styles (Henle, Breitkopf&Haertel, Boosey&Hawkes, G.Schirmer, Schott, Carl Fischer, Southern Music, Rubank, whatever) with libraries which include more common dynamic marks, more common tempo marks, all the common expression marks such as rit., accel., full words as well as abbreviations, slur settings, tie-end settings, beaming conventions, they could go a long way to improving a lot about Finale which leaves beginners looking at not-so-great output and veteran Finale users having to scramble to make their own such templates.

However, the various publishers cited may wish not to have their house styles duplicated. There was a site which had certain settings defined which I understand was pulled down at the demand of a publisher because the results were too close to the house style of that publisher.

They could get around that by simply not labeling the templates so specifically. B&Hg could be the German Breitkopf and Haertel, and B&He could be the English Boosey & Hawkes.

I didn't think look-and-feel could be patented/copyrighted/trademarked.

Of course, none of us little folks have pockets deep enough to withstand a legal challenge so the actual legality of such a demand is nothing we could fight in court.

And for the older houses all we'd have to do is to duplicate the appearance of public domain works.

Oh well, it's a thought!

--
David H. Bailey