Simon Troup wrote:
The solution to searchable archives shouldn't be in these archives which are very slack with peoples email addresses.

Once again, I have little sympathy.  You signed up.  The very
definition of the 'private list' talked about earlier made it clear
that your email address would be available to other subscribers.  I
do not remember a promise that they would prevent spammers from
subscribing.

I'm not after sympathy, but I'm still not clear on one issue.

Why do you need my email address displayed on third party sites? Why are you
defending that? What good is it to you that you argue to defend it?

I'm not defending it per se. I'm wanting to point out the futility of thinking you can beat spam by management of a mailing list. For those whose problem lies elsewhere (ie the copyright stuff) please diverge to a different thread