On Jul 14, 2005, at 8:51 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

I have never had good results leaving jazz quarter notes up to chance.  They are all marked either staccato or tenuto (or, of course, ^ or >).

Me too, in spite of the fact that Dave Berger thinks it's excessively cluttered.  In a way, I agree.  I'd prefer all quarter notes to be interpreted at full value, unless otherwise marked - "classical" style, but that still requires a lot of ^ markings on most of the quarters in a jazz piece, and I don't have the luxury of a stable stable of players who will know the interpretation I'd like.  I must admit that David's scores are less cluttered with articulations (all quarters short, unless marked long), and you can't argue with the interpretations of his players.  He gets what he wants.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836