On 15 Jul 2005 at 13:37, John Howell wrote:

> At 10:21 AM -0700 7/15/05, Eric Dannewitz wrote:
> >*tongue in cheek* Yeah, but when it does come out, it will have all
> >those useful saxes like Contrabass, and C melody. Woohoo!
> >

> >Darcy James Argue wrote:
> >
> >>David, no offense, but how many times do you need this explained?
> >>Fin2k6 doesn't include any GPO saxes because at the moment, there
> >>ARE NO GPO SAXES TO INCLUDE.  The Jazz/Big Band edition of GPO is
> >>NOT FINISHED YET.
> >>
> >>I expect when Fin2k7 comes out, they will include some GPO saxes for
> >>free.
>
> Umm, am I the only one to whom it has occurred that at the very
> least, alto and tenor sax are ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTS, and are played
> with a sound the is quite different from a jazz sound?  As are the
> saxes in wind ensembles.  Thinking that a single set of sax samples
> will serve all possible uses just isn't realistic.  There's no
> question but that they belonged in the orchestral set of samples.
> Somebody dropped the ball, or wasn't thinking in real world terms.

Well, it seems to me that this complaint is really raising the bar
onf MIDI support. General MIDI includes only one sax patch for each
of the main instruments of the family (soprano, alto, tenor,
baritone). And I think General MIDI ought to be the point of
comparison for a set of default sounds in a program. Yes, lots of GM
is pretty esoteric and not essential.

But the point is that the alternative to this inexpensive GPO
implementation in terms of *comparable price* is a GM soundset, which
is not likely to include 2 or 3 different saxophone variants (though
a soundcard like mine may allow you to switch between several
variants of a single GM patch).

It's only when you get into better than commodity-level sound modules
that you get such variation.

I agree with David Bailey that it's a crime to not have *any*
saxophone sounds, but it's the fault of Garritan's schedule, not
MakeMusic's. That MM has no plan to rectify this drawback in Finale
when Garritan releases the samples is not good, in my opinion.

Some basic selection of saxophone sounds really is something that the
Finale-included GPO subset ought to include.

But, just as you only get one solo violin sound, I don't think you
should be expecting a wide variety of alternatives for a single
instrument.

All non-quoted content (c) David W. Fenton, all rights reserved