--- Lon Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:
>
> > You have to suspend disbelief in order to accept
> any of these
> > sounds.  They only remotely resemble the sound of
> the instruments
> > they represent.  I'd like saxophones too, but when
> they come, they
> > won't sound real anyway.  For me, it's not that
> much of a stretch
> > to substitute a different inadequate imitation for
> what I hope will
> > be a somewhat better inadequate imitation.
> >
> > I'm not trying to start a war here.  I hope for
> improved samples
> > and improved (and simple) control, as I assume
> many others do.  But
> > I don't think it's going to ruin the "sketch" of
> my musical
> > architecture for some of the colors to be off.
> It's only a sketch.
>
> It seems to me that trying to use playback from
> Finale <or> Sibelius
> as a mockup of a large work is just asking for
> problems.  First of
> all, to get a large orchestra played by GPO is gonna
> take a huge
> amount of RAM, and you're gonna need a mighty
> powerful computer to do
> it besides.  If you try to record a section at a
> time using Human
> Playback, the result will be out of sync, because of
> fluctuations in
> tempo, unless there's a way to use exactly the same
> tempo map for
> each pass.  If there's a way to do that in Finale I
> don't know about
> it.  If you <don't> use Human Playback you'll get a
> mechanical
> performance.  And how are you gonna put the pieces
> together anyway?
> Do you have a program that'll do that for you?

Regarding HP, you first use the Apply HP plug-in to
solidify the HP settings that you like. Then you can
turn off HP and save your recordings separately. For
most large files I haven't had to do this, but there
has been one exception.

There are free programs available for mixing the audio
files together. It's a simple enough feature to be
included with the free audio editors/sequencers.

Tyler