On 22 Jul 2005 at 20:43, Don Hart wrote:

> on 7/22/05 7:52 PM, David W. Fenton at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> What isn't: Catholicism's ban on females singing within it's walls
> >> or the "no female tenors" rule?
> >
> > Irrelevant. The music was conceived for male voices, which meant
> > male voices were capable of singing it WITHOUT DAMAGE TO THEIR
> > VOICES.
>
> Conceived this way because of the woman's place in society, which was
> *not* singing in church.

Again, WHY is not relevant to the FACT that men sang the music
without damaging their voices. Why men were singing that music is not
relevant.

Of course, if men couldn't have sung it, it wouldn't have been
written for them, so, we can see that the issue of discrimination
doesn't have anything to do with the determination of the validity of
the "singing in the wrong range damages the voice" justification for
the Texas rule in regard to countertenors specifically.